Garden hoses are valuable tools in gardens. If you take proper care of them they will last for a long time. Here are a few helpful tips.
- Drain hoses thoroughly after use.
- Roll them into large loose coils.
- Store in a cool place. If you hang the hose, place it over a rounded object. This prevent bends in the hose which will weaken it.
- Don’t drag the hose near oil drippings. Oil will rot rubber!
- Don’t turn off the water by pinching the hose. It strains and weakens the rubber.
- Stepping on a hose or running over it with a car or mower weakens the hose.
- Heat deteriorates rubber so its not wise to leave hoses out in the sun for extended periods of time.
One very successful way to store a hose in the winter months is to coil it up in a bushel basket and cover it with paper. If you live in a cold area, add an additional towel or blanket. Extreme cold will make a hose brittle.