If you master lighting and watering houseplants are easy to grow and add beauty and personality to a room. They also help clean air so are very beneficial in well sealed houses and businesses.
Most plants will come with a growing tag that says how much light they need. You can also look this information up in a good houseplant book or manual. But here is an easy way to determine the amount of light plants need in your house.
- Low-light plants require lighting from window that gets its light from a north-facing window.
- Medium light plants require light from an east- or west-facing window.
- Plants that have high light requirements need light from a south-facing window.
- Plants that require high-light levels will need to grow under fluorescent lights.
There is a simple way to test the light your plant will receive from any given window. Place a piece of white paper near the location you plan to set your plant. Then place your hand about 12 inches from the paper and between the light source and the paper.
- If you barely see the shadow the area has low light.
- You have moderate light if you see a shadow, but the edges are fuzzy.
- If you see a distinct shadow, the location has high light.
- If you have bought a plant that requires high-light on the label make sure you have a good fluorescent light.
Plants that have the right lighting. proper water and are checked for insects and other plant diseases will live for years. I have had plants for more than15 years and have one that is over 40 years that belonged to my grandmother.